Home » U.S. News

White House Orders Justice Department To Look For Other Places To Hold 9/11 Terror Trial … Update

28 January 2010 No Comment

Another backtrack. President Obama has ordered his Attorney General Eric Holder to look for another location to hold the 9/11 terror trials. As I noted when the decision was made, the only surprise is that anyone in the Obama administration thought it was a good idea in the first place.

The White House ordered the Justice Department to consider other places to try the 9/11 terror suspects after a wave of opposition to holding the trial in lower Manhattan.

The White House took the action hours after Mayor Bloomberg called Attorney General Eric Holder to say he would “prefer that they did it elsewhere.”

“It would be an inconvenience at the least, and probably that’s too mild a word for people that live in the neighborhood and businesses in the neighborhood,” Bloomberg told reporters.

“There are places that would be less expensive for the taxpayers and less disruptive for New York City.”

State leaders have railed against a plan to try Khalid Shaikh Mohammed in Manhattan federal court since Holder proposed it last month.

The order to consider new venues does not change the White House’s position that Mohammed should be tried in civilian court.

“President Obama is still committed to trying Mohammed and four other terrorist detainees in federal court,” spokesman Bill Burton said Thursday.

“He agrees with the attorney general’s opinion that … he and others can be litigated successfully and securely in the United States of America, just like others have,” Burton said.

Read story here.

Now the next question to ask is how long before the Obama Administration reverses their position once again and decides KSM should be tried in a military tribunal instead of civilian court considering he has already plead guilty.

Last week I had the opportunity to listen to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in New York City discuss the terror trials. He made it abundantly clear that he was not consulted. To not consult the person who has keep New York City safe since 9/11 can be added as another error to the growing list of the Obama Administrations errors.


The credit for President Obama’s reversal begins with the Commissioner. His candid remarks that night started the pressure on the Administration. Incidentally, the Commissioner also stated that he had been recently notified that the Obama White House was planning on sending another suspected to New York, this time to Brooklyn. Time will tell if that will happen or if that decision will fade into obscurity as well.

Update
Unreal: Terrorist trials may still be held in Manhattan, says President

Apparently the news media last week jumped the gun by announcing the trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other 9-11 terrorism suspects would not be tried in federal court in Manhattan. President Barack Obama said during an interview televised on CBS News on Sunday that he had not ruled out holding the trials in New York City, but he acknowledged that there are logistical issues and local opposition that makes such a high profile court proceeding difficult.

When asked during the interview if his administration still planned to hold the trial in New York City, Obama replied, “I have not ruled it out.”
“If you’ve got a city that is saying ‘no’ and a police department that’s saying ‘no’ and a mayor that’s saying ‘no,’ that makes it difficult,” he stated.

Read full report here.